Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My fortune cookie said: We're all naked under our clothes!..well it didn't really but it's true!

 My good friend Cynthia (one of my partners in crime from the Frazer Valley Modern Quilt Guild) suggested this sketch book project to me. The gist of it is, you send them money, they send you a sketch book. You fill the sketch book, you send the sketch book back to them in New York, then they display it for you. "It's like a concert tour but with sketch books". I resisted at first, I had so many projects brewing, plus at the time I had no idea what I would do for it anyways.

Then I had a light bulb moment! About a month before the sketch books were due back, I was checking out the site, thinking it was such a great opportunity, when I came across the"figuring you out" theme. "Bing!" I knew exactly what I wanted to do AND it incorporated an idea I had been wanting to do since last year. This killing two birds with one stone situation could not be wasted.

I remember teaching last year and thinking, wouldn't it be great if I could do these gesture drawings with the free motion on my sewing machine! Then I had a vision of happily playing away and drawing only to look up  to a sea of students staring at me with a look of, "would you please stop all that racket!" So instead of making a racket and disrupting other people drawing,  I modified the idea and here it is, a much quieter version.

On a side note, tomorrow I start back teaching figure drawing at Ron Hedrick's painting studio ...  without my sewing machine though! 



On this one I left a few threads behind. I figured what the heck!
Happy surprise! I really loved the way the in between pages looked but decided to seal the pages so you can't see them. I thought it just took away from the flow of the book.
(Click the photo for a better look.)



The end!

4 comments:

  1. I loooove this- such a cool idea and well done! I would love to see it in person- road trip! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lysa,what a fantastic project! I love doing gesture drawings, and I appreciate yours. An interesting take on mastering the art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are sooo talented! Love it!

    ReplyDelete