Friday, March 23, 2012

"Olive Juice" Fraser Valley and Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild Meet up Mug Rug Swap


Yup, you read it right, "Olive Juice"! If you mouth the words "Olive Juice" it looks like you're saying " I Love You"! Did you ever do that in elementary school to someone you had a crush on? Then did you run away giggling, with your friends in tow? I had totally forgotten about doing that until Cynthiaf mentioned a client using it on their website.














The Fraser Valley Modern Quilting Guild has a booth at the Creative Stitches show, today and tomorrow. Tomorrow we are having a meet up with some of the members from the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild and we are exchanging mug rugs. 





















This was the first half of my inspiration for my mug rug, an illustration by Helen Darkin. I love the balloons and wanted to play with circles. Originally I was thinking flowers but when I started playing with colours it was looking more like an olive. Then the story from Cynthia popped into mind, so I went with it!


At first I was going to applique the circles but they were too small and became bulky to work with. I decided to bite the bullet and inserted the circles. In fact this was my first attempt at a set-in-circle. It was of course challenging, especially since I didn't want perfect circles but olive-y shaped ones. It wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be. I'm hoping to do a bigger quilt inspired from this illustration (anyone from the Fab Bee, hint, hint) at some point, but not using set-in-circles, but applique instead.
 
 
On the back I hand embroidered my blog address so the recipient can look up what the heck "Olive Juice" means. I'm really looking forward to meeting up with our Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild homies and I'm so proud of our little guild. Our display came together nicely, it looks great and so many members came out to volunteer! I just want to tell each and everyone, Olive Juice!



















2 comments:

  1. Love your mug rug!!! It looks awesome!! Whoever gets it will be a lucky duck! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on Amy's log. Love it! BTW I had some very creative ladies over at my place for book club on Tuesday - one teaches sewing in high school - and they went nuts for the teacup & teapot potholders you made me. So thanks again!

    ReplyDelete